Thursday, March 29, 2012

Rarely Ordinary

One afternoon last week, while I was standing at my kitchen sink, a bird on the neighbor's fence caught my eye.  The glare from the sun was somewhat impairing my vision, but from what I could tell the bird was different from all the others I usually see.  I stopped washing dishes and rifled through my "odds and ends" drawer for my binoculars.  I just couldn't find the right angle to get a clear view.  It was a good-sized bird (sort of medium sized) with white around its eyes and throat.  I watched its movements closely.  It looked like it was carefully grooming itself...and that maybe some bugs were bothering it, as it pecked at itself in a fast and annoyed manner.  I enjoyed watching it ruffle its feathers, and my mind wandered to how each living thing is so beautifully unique and perfectly created.  Then the bird turned, and I saw a magnificent blaze of orange.  "Wow!" I couldn't help saying out loud.  Then I really got a good look.  "Oh...it's...JUST a robin," I thought with a feeling of disappointment as I lowered my binoculars.  WAIT...that very thought goes against everything I am trying to be and share with others.  I had to really think about this and make a conscious shift right then and there.

Just because something is "common" does not mean it is not special.  There is definitely no shortage of people in this world, yet each one of us is unique.  All of this led me to wonder why we are so intrigued by things that are rare, and why people strive to be able to say things like, "I have the only one," or "I own the original."  If only we could focus on the seemingly simple and common things around us and find beauty in those as well.  That is living!  That is my challenge for you today (and hopefully every day that follows)...find something in your surroundings, something you usually pass by without noticing, and appreciate it....really find its value and beauty.  I bet you will feel a little part of you grow inside, which will only make YOU more beautiful!  Remember, things are rarely as ordinary as they might seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment