Saturday, March 24, 2012

OWN Your Life

Ok, how can I explain this?  Oprah's new network OWN came along at such a serendipitous time in my life...while coming to terms with a chronic illness at age 31 and the resulting upheaval in my life.  I remember it so clearly, and I have the e-mail to remind me.  I had started to feel really sick around the time The Oprah Winfrey Show was ending.  I remember watching her last tribute shows, and then her final farewell.  I had been a viewer off and on for many years.  I cried through much of her finale, but most of all I was inspired and moved by her.  At one point when I was at my worst and could not get out of bed I turned on the T.V. and found The Oprah Winfrey Show reruns.  They really kept me company, and I was compelled to write her an e-mail (which I knew she would never read) just because I didn't want my appreciation to go unnoted.  I wrote: "I don't usually write e-mails like this, because I just assume they will not be read...but here I sit...doing it more as therapy while also hoping you will read my words."  I remember typing away while I could hear my husband and son out the window, playing in the summer sun without me.  I vowed then to live a better life before I even knew what my journey would be like.  About Oprah's final show I wrote, "To say that I was inspired would be an understatement.  I suddenly looked at life differently and made some promises to myself."  Some other comments I made were, (about my current life) "I also found myself getting caught up in the day to day things and complaining or getting down about things I really shouldn't...I want to be better not only in my actions, but in my thoughts.  I tend to get anxious easily and sweat the small stuff...I want to shed that burden.  I am definitely not a "bad" person, but now I want to be the BEST person!"  I ended with, "Right now I am focused on getting better, and once I am...LOOK OUT WORLD!  I am going to make a difference.  I have always known that the two most important things in life are 1. HEALTH & 2. FAMILY/FRIENDS, and I have never taken them for granted...but now, after receiving the gift of your final show, and feeling the fragility of my own health/life, I promise to DO SOMETHING to make this world a better place when I am back on my feet again.  Thank you isn't enough, but THANK YOU for all you have done, and all you continue to do.  After watching those three final shows I couldn't help but feel hopeful again.  In a world that can seem so dark sometimes, you have reached many with your great light, and if all of us who love and respect you can spread that around...what a wonderful, bright world it will be again!"

Then it was like I woke-up one day and BAM! entered the Oprah Winfrey Network..."Life Class," "Super Soul Sunday," "Oprah's Next Chapter," "Master Class."  I guess she had read my letter!  ;-)  I eagerly tuned into the first "Life Class" show, and with each show and its abundant golden nuggets, I felt like an audience member on the Saturday Night Live skit where heads were exploding from excitement, because Oprah was giving everyone a new car.  SERIOUSLY!  It all made perfect sense.  I was looking around wondering if it had all been created just for me...a la "The Truman Show."

Coincidentally, (or as Oprah would say, "There are no coincidences") tomorrow's Super Soul Sunday is about "Living With Grace."  It will be on OWN at 11:00AM (ET) tomorrow.  I hope you will be able to tune-in or record it.  Then the second season of "Oprah's Lifeclass" will be premiering Monday night (3/26) at 8:00PM (ET).  Regardless of what you thought of The Oprah Winfrey Show, or previous opinions you may have had about her, this is GOOD STUFF!  Finally some quality television that you don't feel gross about afterward!  It really can change your life for the better!

Now I just have two other small requests for Miss Oprah (or as I like to call her, HOPE-rah), since she seems to be into granting my wishes: 1. A food-allergy-friendly, organic restaurant chain (so maybe I can go out to eat again someday); 2. An evening news program that only reports positive/happy news.  Thank you, Queen of Media!!!  ;-)

I won't usually make suggestions that will include plopping yourself in front of the television, but this is so worth it!  You can get a lot out of it.  I am interested to hear if you watch and what you think!  Happy viewing!!!

*For more information, go to: http://www.oprah.com/own

No comments:

Post a Comment