Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Incredible, Edible...COCONUT!

I think it's about time for a little product review-ish post!  Today I am talking about an extremely important ingredient in any recipe for healing and staying healthy...COCONUT!  I discovered coconut oil back when I was nursing my son and he was allergic to dairy and soy.  Coconut oil proved to be the perfect oil for baking.  It comes in a solid form, so I would melt it and use it in place of vegetable-type oils in cakes, muffins, etc.  I even spread it on toast sometimes!  It is a great butter substitute.  Then later on I discovered coconut water.  I tried quite a few brands, but ended up sticking with "Naked" brand (www.nakedjuice.com), because it had the lowest percentage of sugar (very important when you have any sort of bacterial/microbial thing going on, because they thrive on sugar) that I could find.

I was beyond psyched to find out just how miraculous coconuts can be!  It's all about the lauric acid (which deserves its own post, but if you are interested you can easily look it up).  Coconuts have been proven to have antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, and antibacterial properties.  This is beneficial for all of us, but especially anyone with a compromised immune system.  I have read quite a bit about it helping cancer and HIV patients with viral protection, etc.  It actually helps all sorts of conditions and is particularly healing to the gut.  I could go on and on, but if you want to know more go to this website: http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html.

I hope you will check it out!  I can't remember the exact brand of coconut oil I use (and I am too lazy - and in bed - to go downstairs to look), so if you want to know just post a comment below.  I know it is organic and I order it online.  There are different varieties...virgin, extra virgin, etc...just like with olive oil.  I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have!

I am so obsessed with coconut and its health benefits that I use a coconut oil-based body oil everyday.  I will review that in another post...  For added enjoyment with any of the coconut products I mentioned, close your eyes and pretend you are on a tropical island!  That should give you a boost as well!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*UPDATE: The coconut oil brands I highly recommend are:
1. Omega Nutrition Coconut Oil - http://www.omeganutrition.com/ProductListing.aspx?Search=coconut+oil
2. Dr. Bronner's Coconut Oil - https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/category/COCONUTOIL.html

No comments:

Post a Comment