Friday, March 23, 2012

FF #1 - It's Never Too Late

Happy Friday!  Let's jump right in...  I am so happy and excited to introduce the first installment of what I will be calling "Friday's Frosting."  Some people start the weekend off with a drink, a bath, a dinner out, a movie...for me it is all about dessert.  Unfortunately I have been on an extremely restricted diet (including NO sugar - not even fruit!) for almost a year, so I have had to turn to things other than food to indulge in.  Every Friday you can look forward to reading about something inspiring - inspirational people, quotes, charities, events, acts of bravery and kindness, etc...  A little celebration for getting through the week, and a way to start your weekend on a positive note.  I am always more than happy to send you on your way with a little something sweet!  Enjoy!

It's Never Too Late
I had my first inspirational person to share with you all picked out and ready to go (she really is amazing), but I read an article a few days ago that I just can't stop thinking about, and I wanted to capture those feelings before I lost them.  The person's name is Jim Henry...nothing particularly exciting about his name, or his life, really...on the surface.  He was pulled out of school in the third grade to become a fisherman (a lobsterman, to be exact) in order to help his family get by.  Now at age 98 he lives in an assisted-living home in Mystic, Connecticut.

Two years ago his granddaughter shared a memoir with him about a slave who had conquered illiteracy late in life.  He found the story inspiring, since he could relate.  He had spent his whole life faking being able to read the newspaper, and always ordered after others in restaurants, just picking something someone else had ordered.  He said he felt "so ashamed," and admitted, "sometimes I cried."  He was inspired by someone else's story, and he set his mind to change this aspect of his life!  I love it!!!  He started like a child would with ABCs and his own name, and with the help of a tutor he later started writing stories about his life-long fishing adventures.  WAIT, it gets better...  He compiled those stories into a book and has sold more than 2,000 copies!  In his little hometown bookstore he outsold Steve Jobs' book in one month!  All of this at the age of 98!  Now that's incredible!

I get so frustrated when I see people interested in learning or trying something new, but they say, "I am too old."  HA!  Tell that to Mr. Henry!  You are doing yourself a serious disservice by restricting yourself in such a way.  Plus, you are not setting a very good example for those around you.  There are so many people whose lives are cut short, who would have loved the opportunity to live more of life, and live it fully.  It is a sin to waste yours holding back.

Mr. Henry stated that the best gift of his literacy has been finally being able to lose himself in other people's stories.  He was inspired by someone, now we are inspired by him.  See how that works?!  Make a change for yourself, and inspire someone else in the process!  It's win, win!  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!

Oh...and here is another item for your gratitude journal - "I am thankful that I can read and write!"

*Check out Jim Henry's website: fishermanslanguage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment