Thursday, March 22, 2012

Gratitude

Today is an easy day for me to be thankful.  I felt amazing, the weather was gorgeous, and my son and I had the best day exploring Boston together.  I haven't felt this great in a long time, and I just can't stop smiling and saying how grateful I am for it all.

Gratitude is very important.  I have read and heard from many different, unrelated sources that gratitude improves your health and your life overall.  It's not surprising.  As I will say many more times, what you put out there comes back to you.

After hearing so much about gratitude I decided to start a "Gratitude Journal" back in November.  I could have started sooner, but at that particular time I felt like I was starting to get back on my feet a little, and I might be able to carve out some regular time to devote to it.  I am so glad I did!  I just flipped back through some of my entries.  A few of the things I write about being thankful for are: my eyesight (that's a big one), my hearing (so I can hear my son's voice, the music I love, etc.), sunshine, support from others, a beautiful flower, hope, random acts of kindness, the comforts of my home, seeing the world through my son's eyes, being at peace with what is, love, hugs and kisses are frequent ones...and the list goes on.  I always start with the same thing at the top of each entry: Jesus.  For me He is at the center of it all.  It might be something else for you, but try to come up with one constant that you can depend on being thankful for everyday.  That way, even on your hardest days, when you can't come up with anything, you have that.

I think that taking life, and the many blessings each of us have, for granted is somewhat of an epidemic.  We are so busy going and doing that we don't slow down to see the amazing gifts all around us.  I know it is particularly difficult when you don't feel well, you are worried about being able to pay your bills, or a relationship is crumbling, but that is when we need to do it the most.  As I mentioned, I did wait to start keeping a Gratitude Journal until I was beginning to get my head above water.  Now might not be the right time for you.  I have tried to do it every single day, but there are days I don't get to it.  There was one stretch where I went about three weeks without doing it.  I decided that I was okay with that.  I still made a point of stopping at times during the day to be thankful for things.  There is so much that I am told to do to get my health back in order, that I didn't need another thing to be regimented about.  If it is going to add more to your already too long to-do list, or if it will make you feel bad to miss doing it some days (or weeks), then don't bother.  Only do things that fit with your life and make you feel good.  Be kind and understanding with yourself!

If you don't even know where to begin...as Oprah says, "Start with your breath."  You are here, you are alive.  Many people didn't make it to today.  That means you can still work on whatever needs to be turned around.  Even if it is your health.  You can do everything in your power to strengthen yourself, and there are actually lots of options (which I will get to in later posts).  I start and end my day thanking God for another day on earth...especially for the chance to be with my family.  It is a gift...not a given.  Start living that way, and be thankful for all you DO have, instead of focusing on what you don't.

Gratitude - make it a constant part of your attitude!

PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU ARE MOST THANKFUL FOR...IT MIGHT INSPIRE SOMEONE...

No comments:

Post a Comment