Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It Takes A Team

Sooo...as I mentioned in last night's post I have not been feeling so great lately.  While at my hypnotherapist's last night we started off with our usual review of current symptoms, which helps her know what to focus on during our session.  For the first time she really urged me to contact my doctor with an update, because she was concerned.  Ugh...that deflated me a little.  We ended up completely reviewing my journey up to this point...the many doctors who couldn't figure my illness out, the feelings of being left to fend for myself, the "soldiering on" (as she put it), the months of uncertainty...  She wanted to make the point that I am strong, and I really have made it so far, and I have made quite a bit of progress.  Sure, I can now admit that I have surprised myself with my determination and strength at times, but the truth is IT TAKES A TEAM.

In the "beginning" I had my family (mostly my husband and my mother), and that was pretty much it.  They knew I wasn't crazy or making this whole thing up.  They were right there every time I needed to talk.  I saw almost 15 doctors (some of them multiple times) who just couldn't figure it out, and then when their tests came back "normal," they were happy to send me home with no answers, no help.  I found two very caring doctors in that group, who were willing to listen, but they were left scratching their heads.  The whole time I was researching and had severely altered my diet in an attempt to help.  Then I took control...in a matter of time I had found my doctor (MD), my acupuncturist (thank-you brother-in-law), my herbalist (thanks to a cousin), and my hypnotherapist...and they became my "care" team.  It took some weeding out of other therapists, a naturopath who has been very helpful with some conditions that crop-up, and the many MDs I saw overtime.

I know I promised to keep this blog positive, but I share this information to empower you.  I used to put all doctors (and some other professionals) up on a pedestal and just assume that they must know better than me.  NO ONE knows your body better than YOU, and there are doctors out there who will LISTEN and work WITH you.  You shouldn't have to settle when it comes to your health.  Listen to your gut and get the help you deserve.

I also have an amazing massage therapist who truly cares and she actually suggested Lyme early on.  I have the best Priest who has been there to listen and lend guidance and support.  Then I have my wonderful friends and extended family who randomly check in on me and lift me up.  All of these different support systems come together to walk through this journey with me beautifully.

I do have to say that nothing has been more beautiful than the love and support from my husband.  Some would have run a long time ago.  Seriously.  This man has been unfaltering in his strength.  He truly has had two full-time jobs since I became sick.  The minute he gets home from work he is cooking dinner and helping out with our son.  Then he prepares breakfast for me and wraps it up for me so it is ready in the morning.  He does the grocery shopping, most of the errands, most of the laundry...and the list goes on.  He just wants me to focus on getting better.  Since I have been more knocked down lately he has been right there with his "tough love" and pep talks to get me through it and moving forward.  He always puts me first, and his unconditional love is inspiring.

Our son is also an amazing motivator.  He is why I get out of bed in the morning.  He keeps me pushing myself to be better and get better.  His love and care, giggles and smiles, bazillion hugs and kisses, are the best medicine and biggest blessing I could ever pray for.  It is hard to put into words what that little angel does for me.

My Mom has been right there...answering my calls, doing the best she can to hide her concern and be supportive.  Many times she has dropped her life to drive all the way here to help out, or to help in any way that she can.  What can you say about your mom?  Now that I am a mom I understand her love for me even more.  I also understand that this has probably hurt her more than it hurts me at times.

At the center of all of this is...JESUS!  There are no words, but I KNOW that I am never alone as long as I have my faith.  During the nights when the rest of the world is asleep I still have comfort and love.

I know I am missing people, but you get my point...I have rambled on long enough!  You may be alone in your symptoms and knowing how your everyday struggles truly feel, but when it comes to getting through it (whatever that happens to be for you), it takes a lot of love and support from those around you.  One of the hardest things for me has been leaning on others, but I wouldn't have made it this far if I hadn't.  Allow yourself to lean or to be caught sometimes.  You can "soldier on" only so much...then you must look to your team to have your back.




No comments:

Post a Comment